Monday 5 October 2015

1st shoot and edits.


Flowers that were used for the scanning. I picked up the bunch on the right at a small stall in town and the collection on the left were from a wedding florist, they were about £2/£2.50 for each different flower, all in all I spent £12 on them. I will chop the stems off and keep them in water after I have finished scanning them to keep them fresh for when I want to create Photograms as I would like to see how different the shadows will turn out. 

Contact sheets.





These are the final scans, I picked the flowers apart and at first spread them in cling film so that when it was scanned it would create little indents, after a while I tried something different and wrapped a piece around the top of the scanner across the white background (I had initially wanted to use a black back ground so that when I was editing there would be less shadow but I tested it out on the white first. I will come back to this idea later on) this I then later scanned by itself so that I could layer it on top of other images.

This shoot was extremely fun as it was all about coming up with different compositions, what would show the best on the scan and was there enough gaps in between the flowers that I could see the cling film. It did take time but after a while I got into the hang of moving things around, it was all about playing with textures. 

I picked 3 images to work with (I will edit more it is just at the time these were the best scans to work with) and I tried to give each one a different vibe.




 



Going back to my first idea of printing on glass, I think the 1st image would be the best as it is strong and full of shadows although I would also be interested in the 4th image being printed as it is by far my favourite, also the layering that it is shown throughout the image would be interesting to view on glass (natural light illuminating it).

The first 3 images are all the same scan, I darkened the shadows, increased the contrast and the colour in this image. The other two I layered the image over itself and slightly lifted it to create more shadows in the 2nd one. I played around with the layering options till I found ones that were overall opposites of each other to show exactly how much light vs darkness there was in the one image. (1 and 3 need to be brightened).

The 4th image is one scanned cropped and layered with the cling film image giving it an overall white shade with a light glare on the left hand side.

The last image is the same image flipped and aligned side by side, this is self is a stronger image as I have rather than picked out the shadows, picked out the natural colours of the flowers and leaves. The light is stronger in this image as it the light from the scanner is reflecting off of the cling film.

No comments:

Post a Comment