Monday 5 October 2015

Alan Jaras


'The interplay and the interaction of light on materials and surfaces has long been a fascination for me. As a research scientist and microscopist I used many optical and lighting techniques to gain a deeper understanding of the nature of materials. I am now exploring the world of caustics - those magical patterns that are formed when a beam of light travels through transparent textured materials.

Using traditional photographic techniques and pieces of complex shaped glass and plastics I project these patterns directly on to colour film. The resulting images and photographs that you see are purely analogue and are not computer generated, but a true representation of the patterns formed by the light beam after its complex journey through the refractive objects I create.

I have always sought to find a bridge between art and science; with these "Refractographs" I now feel I have achieved my goal.'
I was searching through Tumblr under the tag alternative process and his work was tagged, since then I have been looking through his work. This image is one of the ones that cause my eye because of the intricate detail behind the image.
 

This was what I found under the image;

'Twisting Light #8 Continuing the experiments on the refraction patterns of light made with formed and shaped plastic materials. With this one I seem to have created two microscopic creatures. The top one looks to me like a ‘daphnia’ or 'water flea’ while the bottom one appears to have structure reminiscent of the segmented body of a 'louse’ or similar parasite. Ooh.. I’ve gone all itchy. These images are analogue formed directly on to 35mm negative film by the refraction pattern of light passing through a formed plastic shape. The resulting print has been scanned for flickr. Minor adjustments have been made with Picasa2.
When seen large, small rainbow patterns are evident and also diffraction patterns and rings.'

His work is very creative as he is making these breathtaking designs with simple materials. 



No comments:

Post a Comment